Meteorologists define the 1st of December as the beginning of winter.
But let’s face it; you don’t need to be a scientist to see that the snow on the ground means increased disruption to homes and businesses.
by Paul McComish – McComish Property Services
Winter Check List
While you can’t change the weather you can be prepared. See our winter check list below to protect your property from snow and water damage this winter.
Avoid frozen gutters
- Make sure your gutters are clear of leaves and debris
- Keep the attic well-ventilated so snow doesn’t melt and refreeze on the roof’s edge
- Make sure the attic floor is well insulated to minimise the amount of heat rising through the attic from within the house
Avoid burst pipes
- Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow heat transfer
- Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking
- Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through taps connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space
Avoid snow damage to roofs
- Remove snow from basement stairwells, window sill and all walls. Melting snow can lead to water damage and moisture intrusion
- When snow collects from blowing winds on your roof, contact a roofing contractor for safe removal that won’t damage you or your property
- Keep your attic well-ventilated to maintain a temperature close to that of the outdoors to minimise the risk of ice dams forming
If you need assistance removing snow from your roof, emergency repairs to burst pipes, faulty boilers, broken gutters or damage from melting snow call McComish on 08000 327 577.
McComish is here to help!
The emergency repair and prevention team at McComish Property Services is ready for winter and offer you;
- 24 / 7 emergency hotline
- 2 hour emergency response aim
- ability to work round your schedule (including the school run and business hours) to ensure minimum disruption
- work guaranteed for 24 months
Call us on 08000 327 577 for a free estimate or emergency assistance.
For more information on this author see his profile on Google+ here +Paul McComish
Photo: Murky1 @ Flickr