The McComish Group are highly experienced in the specification and installation of Biomass boilers. To help share some of our knowledge, we’ve listed some things for you to consider when evaluating the adoption of Biomass. Our Pro’s & Con’s are designed to prompt any questions or concerns you may have. Our Senior Consultants are on-hand to discuss your scenario in more detail. Here’s our thoughts:
- Of all the technologies you install for heating, Biomass offers the greatest reduction in carbon footprint per £ spent.
- Biomass boiler installations cause no more disruption than would maintenance on your regular boiler. No need to rip up your floors or garden as you might for a ground-source heat pump installation.
- Biomass boilers use very little electricity.
- Biomass boilers can use waste wood such as pellets or wood chips.
- Biomass boilers can use locally-sourced biomass helping your local economy.
- You cannot see nor smell any smoke – they are very clean.
- The ash from a biomass boiler takes up hardly any space and can be used as a fertiliser in the garden.
- RHI payments makes repayments quicker and easier.
- Biomass boilers are expensive, with average prices upward of £9000. You could get quotes for well over £20,000, so best you shop around.
- Don’t forget you will need a buffer tank and storage space for the fuel like a garage
- Biomass boilers are not really suitable for small homes
- Refuelling from bags can be physically demanding. This makes them unsuitable for social housing, the physically impaired or the elderly.
- Fuel delivery can be inconvenient (as for any solid fuel) so we normally take the day off work or pay extra for Saturday delivery. For one fit man this might take 40 minutes to shift 1.5tonnes of bagged pellets (15kg per bag).
In our opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. If you have a Biomass boiler share your own pros and cons with us and we will add them to the list. For those of you who are considering a change, let us know your thoughts.
Contact McComish Group now for more information on how to get your eco-friendly, Biomass heating system. Call McComish Group on 08000 327 577.